Memories of Brick Township
President Ulysses S. Grant Visits the village of Bricksburg, Brick Township, NJ
Gene Donatiello ©2012
In 1869 during his first year as President, Ulysses S. Grant spent his summer at his cottage at 995 Ocean Avenue, Long Branch, New Jersey. While vacationing there President Grant took a trip to the village of Bergen Iron Works, Bricksburg in the western reaches of Brick Township. The President was responding to an invitation sent by Mrs. Robert Campbell, (formerly Mrs. Joseph W. Brick) Riley Brick, son of Joseph W. Brick and Mrs. Charles (Josephine) A. Stetson, Jr. daughter of Joseph W. Brick, the founder of Bergen Iron Works and for whom the Township gets its name.
President Grant arrived from Long Branch around 10:50 am on the Delaware and Raritan Railroad.
Upon arrival the Village Band played "Hail to the Chief". The President took a short carriage ride down Main Street to "Mansion House" the home build for the Brick Family in 1835. After ceremonial greetings, the President and guest were escorted to Lake Carasaljo for a stroll by the lake. The guest then returned to Mansion House for a formal dinner. After dinner the guests moved to the lawn for a dance of which the President did not take part. The President departed for Long Branch early that evening.
Ben Pulcrano: Hotels of Lakewood, unpublished
Editor: Lenora Donatiello