Road Names

ROAD NAMES IN BRICK TOWNSHIP

Gene Donatiello 2010

 

Brick Boulevard - built in 1947, it was originally called Moore Road
 
Burnt Tavern Road
Burnt Tavern Road was built in 1804 and ran from Smithburg in western Monmouth County to the Atlantic Ocean. Somewhere, sometime there must have been a landmark tavern along the road that burnt down, however we do not have any information to verify where and when. Was there a tavern on the road that burnt down? Probably!
 
Burrsville Road, (once called Dave Reid Road) the Burrsville Road name came from the Burr family that once operated an iron forge at Forge Mill Pond on Route 70, and whose family home is located on the road.
 
Chambers Bridge Road - named for John Chamberlain who purchased Metedeconk Bridge after returning from fighting in the American Revolutionary War. See People John Chamberlain by Donatiello
 
Cedar Bridge or Cedarbridge Avenue - originally called Plank Road, it was built by Joseph Brick to transport his iron from Bergen Iron Works to the docks at Cedar Bridge on the south branch of the Metedeconk River. Because the wagons loaded with iron would sink into the sand, split cedar logs were laid across the soft sand to keep the wagons from bogging down.
 
Drum Point Road
There are several stories as to the origin of Drum Point Road the one that I find the most plausible follows:  The Metedeconk River and upper Barnegat Bay were fresh water bodies prior to the opening of the Point Pleasant-Bay Head.  Fishermen fished the waters using nets, which were wound up on large drums when not in use, hence Drum Point.  This also ties in with Kettle Creek as those same fishermen tarred their nets using large kettles to heat the tar.
 
Highway 70 - West of Laurelton (Route 70 & Route 88 interchange) the road was Highway 40 and also known as John D. Rockefeller Memorial Highway.
Highway 70 East of Laurelton started as Squan Road because it was the road to Squan Village (Manasquan), then Route 34.
 
Highway 88  East of Laurelton - The Road to Point Pleasant, then Route 35, presently (2010) Route 88.
Highway 88  West of Laurelton - The Road to Lakewood, then Route 35, presently (2010) Route 88.
 
Hooper Avenue - named for Thomas Hooper, who in the 1860’s paid for the widening of the Road to Metedeconk from Washington Street in Toms River north about six hundred feet, because he thought the county seat should have a more fitting road.
 
Jack Martin Boulevard - Named for major League Baseball player Jack C. Martin who played 69 games for the New York Highlanders (New York Yankees) in 1912. In 1913 he was sent to the minor league at Rochester, when he was drafted by the Boston Braves and traded to the Philadelphia Phillies, where he played 116 games. He then spent 1914-1924 in minor leagues, retired to Plainfield, New Jersey and worked for Mack Foundry. In 1954, he retired from  Mack Foundry moved to his  summer home in Vanada Woods, Brick Township and became an active supporter of Brick Township Little League. Martin died July 2, 1980 after suffering a heart attack at the 31st Annual Yankees -Old Timers game on June 21, 1980.
 
Lanes Mill Road - named for Tunis Lane who had a grist mill on the north branch of the Metedeconk River at the location where the Road to Greenville (County Line Road) and Lanes mill Road meet. Source: Lakewood in the Pines
 
Mantoloking Road - Originally called Plank Road starting from Bergen Iron Works to the Village of Cedar Bridge, then Cedar Bridge Road.  From Adamston Road east it was Cedarbridge-Adamston Road. The road was renamed Mantoloking Road, when Ocean County took over the maintenance of the road December 7, 1923. Source of date: New Jersey Courier
 
Princeton Avenue - Originally called the Road to Parker’s Neck, then the Road to Wardell’s Neck (depending upon who owned the land at the east end of the road) It was then called River Road and presently called Princeton Avenue taking its’ name from Princeton Summer Camp, located on the Metedeconk River, and operated from 1909 to 1929.
 
Sally Ike Road - Named for Sarah and Isaac “Ike” Mitchell who lived on the unnamed road. Locals would say “I’m going to Sally & Ike’s” hence the name.